In the past couple of months I have been drawn into the world of blogging translators. Having always enjoyed doing translation for hotels, restaurants, marketing agencies and other tourism related businesses, I decided it was time for me to set up my own company.
While setting up BarLinn Translations, I spent a lot of time researching and reading language and freelancing blogs. I now look forward to grabbing my nook every morning to read the latest updates.
When I saw Judy and Dagmar Jenner’s post A ♥ for Language Blogs, I realised that this is the perfect opportunity for me to say thank you to those who inspired me, provided invaluable tips or simply made me laugh.
The following list is my top ten (in no particular order). It was very hard to narrow it down as I read and follow a lot more via RSS or on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. My other firm favourites can be found listed here under Favourite Blogs.
1. Translation Times: Judy and Dagmar Jenner of course belong in my top ten. This post is just one example as to why they are a must read.
2. WordCount: This great blog by Michelle Rafter covers a broad range of topics from recommended reading to WordPress, translation news and language apps.
3. Freelance Folder: Ok so this isn’t strictly a translation blog. However, the articles are relevant to freelance translators and so informative that I couldn’t make a top 10 blog list without Freelance Folder in it! Thanks for the great posts guys!
4. GTS Blog: This is one of my favourite blogs for keeping up-to-date with translation news.
5. Translation Guy: Beautifully written blog with articles that are both informative and amusing. Ken Clark always has a great take on current translation news.
6. Über-Setzer-Logbuch: This is a German language blog by Gabriele Zöttl. Definitely well worth the read for German speakers.
8. False friends, good and bad translation, Denglisch, Tipps für Übersetzer: Martin Crellin’s blog discusses translation techniques with real examples.
9. wéb-tränslatiôns: Interesting articles related to translation news. Posts are written by several different writers and guest bloggers.
10. Übersetzungsfehler: This German language blog by Dagmar Jenner is a great one to subscribe to for a bit of light-hearted entertainment. Always a good read if you’re in need of a giggle.